Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Say-Um"


The little person we have living under our roof can speak full sentences, resight her abc's and randomly pick out which letter is what, knows all her colors (to include gold, silver, teal, etc.), speaks clearly about all her friends,.......... but can't say her own name and always references herself as "baby." Now, don't get me wrong, I know when didn't pick out the easiest name for our child to pronounce; however, other friends of hers have "difficult" names and she has those down to a T. I know in time she'll master her name, but for now when I do hear such words spoken from her mouth, it's "Say-um." Isn't that cute? I think she knows she isn't saying it properly, so she doesn't even bother (that's where the "baby this and baby that" thing comes into play.)


My ? to you is this, did you or do your children have nicknames for themselves? I need to ask my parents how I said my own name at Salem's age. I'm sure I just ran around saying NO with such fierceness and then added a soft L to the end ( "Noooooo-L"). Can't you just hear it? I don't know how else they would have explained it to me.



So, I leave you with a picture of "baby" or "Say-um", which ever you prefer. I'm telling you..... THIS IS a little ME! Just give the girl a pair of your shoes, and she's content as ever! Watch out boys, the girl already has expensive taste. She prefers wearing my $100+ pair of shoes around the house over all others. Hey, that's my girl!

She was walking the catwalk...literally! She would start at the fridge, walk to me, pivet turn, and walk back to do it all again!

3 comments:

joanna said...

I wonder if Salem doesn't refer to herself as Salem because she knows you don't refer to yourself by your name? Maybe she's waiting to understand 'I' and 'me'? I had to ask my kids what their name was or wait for them to introduce themselves to others to hear how they said it most of the time... but they all did have some trouble with each other's names, too - Joo-wee-uh, and Julia called HOlly 'ollie' when she was first born for awhile, and Alan might still say 'Ow-when'. Cute little model you have there!

Andrea and Ben said...

Sooooo cute and such a little stylish one!

Anonymous said...

You did say your name like Noooo-L, but you also referred to yourself as Karen. Even if someone asked you your name, you would say Karen....strange child!
xoxo YaYa
P.S. I love the stylish red sunglasses on Salem.