Friday, September 5, 2008

Four Eyes







My sweet, sweet, sweeeeeeetttttttttttt Salem, is now wearing eyeglasses for farsightedness. This came as both shocking, and not. I had scheduled her an opthamology apt. due to her left eye crossing in frequently throughout the day; little did I know that the diagnosis would be due to her not being able to see things close up. The scale ranges from 0-6 (+6 being extreme), and Salem is at a +5.50.....yikes! Her prescription in her glasses is only half filled because they thought the full dosage would be an overload on her eyes and cause them not to function properly. Let me just say that Andrew and I cannot even see out of them they way they are now; I can't even imagine what the "real deal" will look like! He also informed us that we'll most likely have to dilate her eyes on a daily basis with the strong prescription to make the brain and muscles function to their fullest. For us, this is completely foreign because both Andrew and I have perfect vision and haven't had to deal with all this before.

We're on are 2nd day, and things seem to be going okay. She likes them; however, she doesn't understand that this is a permanent thing that she has to wear 24/7. Salem considers them more of an accessory that she can match her outfits with.....like a hair bow or hat! At times, she'll get frustrated with them and throw them across or room or even better, I saved them from being flushed down the toilet yesterday afternoon. Good thing we have 2 pairs, bad thing the insurance doesn't cover a single penny of it.

We're also struggling with the fact that most eyeglass stores don't carry frames designed for children her age (most are aimed at 4+); therefore, hers are a tiny bit to large on her face and has to push them up. They didn't recommend getting wire ones due to the thickness of the lens, plus, she didn't like those styles anyways.

So, if our Baby Luvs has to wear glasses, at least she's going to look good doing it!!!!!!!!!

After all the stress I put her through, mommy took her to Payless to have a free for all with her favorite thing..........shoes! She ended up coming home with not just one, but 2 pairs!!!!

8 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

Wow. I cannot believe they can tell those things so early. She does look adorable though!!!

Katie said...

She looks REALLY cute. I can't imagine trying to convince a 2 year old to wear them all day! She will probably get used to seeing better with them on and want them on at some point!

Tracy said...

She looks so adorable. Will the medicine help her eyes to get better? Or will this be her eyesight for good?

The Quinn Report said...

Tracy,
Well they aren't too sure at this point what to say about her eyes. They predict that it will get better over time, but she will mostly likely be in glasses throughout most of her childhood (at least until 9-12 years of age). With technology by then, hopefully there will be something other than Lasik to cure it!

Hey, I'm looking into the granite color for you. I need to look through our builder folder and then I'll get back to you!

Joel and Angela said...

I can't imagaine having to get Luke to wear glasses! I have a few friends that have young children in glasses and they do really well remembering to keep them on.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

she's adorable. as always.

Otisfamily said...

First off she just keeps getting more and more beautiful every time I see her. And dang, girlfriend can ROCK glasses better than anyone I have ever seen. I am sad for her, but happy that it doesn't affect that gorgeous face. Love you guys!!

joanna said...

Those are cute glasses! My cousin's son got glasses really young, too... I'm amazed at how anyone can figure out they need them. Good for you for noticing her eyes doing funny things. I'd probably have written it off as a fluke. And I worry about my kids' eyesight because I started wearing glasses in elementary school. The dilating her eyes every day sounds icky. Good luck keeping the glasses on her and out of the toilet! Funny!!