Monday, September 22, 2008

Different baby, same issues

Here we go again! I had my normal checkup with the doctor last week, only to find that once again, I am measuring small/behind.  So, my nurse practitioner ordered an ultrasound and indeed they, too, calculated that Tavin's growth development is one month behind my actual due date.  Now, this DOES NOT come as a shocker to me...considering that Salem measured 5 weeks behind the entire pregnancy; however, there are more red flags this time around.

Then, today, they switched my care over to the head physician at BAMC because my n.p. didn't feel comfortable seeing me anymore with "issues".  After that, I was told, today, that this particular doctor also thinks I should be seen by someone with more experience with "issues" such as mine, and now ALL my prenatal care will be done at Wilford Hall.  Again, not a shocker, but a HUGE ass pain. So, I gathered up all my crap and was sent directly over there to be seen by the triage doctors in labor and delivery.  Everything is FINE with Tavin and I; he's just measuring on the WAY small side by their scale. They also pushed my due date back by a week to give his measurements a boost in size.  To give you an idea, he was in the 1% for size and by pushing it back by a week, it gets him up in the 10th...still small, but better.  The pushing back of the due date doesn't really do much considering the fact that the talk of induction is already being spoken of.  The reason being is back in July, he was in the 25th percentile and to have a tapering off in growth, is never a good thing.  Chances are, once again, I will not go full-term. Salem was induced at 36 weeks and this looks the same, if not sooner. I was told to have the bags ready and the car seat loaded up.  

I'm not sure what to think of all this.  I'm worried about my baby and my other baby, Salem, if things to take a turn for the worst and Tavin has to be in the hospital for a lengthy period of time.  Wilford Hall is over an hour drive for me, and now that I'm high risk, I already have to drive there 2-3 times a week ( Mon & Thurs. for antepartum testing and doctors apts/ultrasounds every other week).  I sit here pondering if we're going to have a baby 2 weeks from now, or 2 months from now.  

For now, I'm tired, stressed out (trying not to be, but I can't help it), and wishing all of this was just over already.  The good news (yes, there is such a thing to all of this!), is that Tavin's measurements/fluid/blood flow/etc., all looks normal and healthy for the size he is!!!!!!!!!!  He was also moving around like crazy during all of this today, that they couldn't even get accurate readings for some of the testing because he wouldn't sit still...the doctor was actually pleased with that because most babies in his "situation" don't have much movement or will have negative side effects to being so small.  

Other good news is that my mom is flying in from Tucson on Wed. to spend a few days with us!  Having family around call always boost ones spirits!  I'll keep you all posted on the followups and I'm sure everything is going to be A.O.K!!!!! 

8 comments:

Andrea and Ben said...

You are all very strong people in will and physically. That alone will help me worry less about you and little Tavin. I will be thinking about you guys!!

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Can you change your TriCare to plus (or something else) so you can find a civilian doc closer?? You will have to pay a monthy primimum, but it's a thought.

You need to take it easy. Put those cute shoes up and rest!!

I know everything will be fine. You and that precious boy are in my thoughts.

Tracy said...

I think that what the doctor (or just me) is telling you is to eat it up, put some fat on that baby!! Go crazy. You are super tiny, Salem is super tiny. Send out those positive vibes into universe.

The Gilbert Crew said...

Hey girl, you are in our prayers and I am sure everything will be just great! I am so sorry you have to go to all the trouble of driving to WH twice a week. Maybe something will work out and you can change doctors to someone closer. Take it easy and do as Tracy says, eat, eat, eat!!!!!

joanna said...

I'm surprised you went through so many doctors passing you off, given your history with Salem being small. And if the vitals are fine why wouldn't they just let him stay in as long as possible - not inducing? Here's hoping everything goes well and the drive isn't too terribly horrible! (oh the gas you'll go through!)

Katie said...

I am with Joanna...I wonder why they would want him out? Is it intrauterine growth restriction or something like that?

I am sure it is stressful. Hang in there! It will all work out. (How many weeks are you?)

The Quinn Report said...

Since they pushed my due date back, I am only 31 weeks at this time. They'll be happy if they can get me to 35+.

Joel and Angela said...

NOEL! Wow, that is a lot to deal with. I measured "Small" with all of mine too. They did an ultrasound with Claire and said that she measured 5 pounds at 38 weeks and csectioned her that day. She came out at 6.9lbs!! So their measurements were off. I know this is stressful, but relax now that the docs have given you a little relief! Call if you need me to do anything!! (Although I am "suffering" from mastitis AGAIN!!!!) In regard's to the smith's comment....let me know if you do end up go civilian. We were VERY PLEASED with our care at North Central Baptist and they have the highest level nicu if needed.