Thursday, November 6, 2008

Any Suggestions?

So, Salem is officially potty trained with one exception..... she won't go dookie in the potty.  I know it will eventually come with time, but I'm out of ideas on what I can do, as her mommy, to accomplish this hurdle.  It is dreadful because not only will she not go in the potty, but she holds it for DAYS.  We're talking up to 4 days!  She finally got it out tonight, and what a painful sight it was.  I didn't think something that large could even come out of a person of her size!  I've done the rewards program and have tried every bribe under the sun to get her to go on/in it.  She's done it before, but it scared the living daylights out of her when she looked down only to find stinky terds sitting there in her pretty, pink potty.  I'm concerned only for the simple fact that she puts herself through such agony by keeping it in over long durations of time.  Another issue is she knows NOT to poop in her big girl panties, so she'll only boom-boom in a pull-up.  Sounds great, but it's a hard thing to pin down when she's in panties all hours of the day (with the exception of bedtime.) Sometimes she'll ask me for a pull-up, and other days (like today), I had to put one on her because I KNEW she had to go....it had been 4 miserable days!  My butt hurts just thinking about it!  Any suggestions????

8 comments:

joanna said...

I'm not sure how helpful my suggestions will be - Alan has issues with pooping in the potty himself. He's great about doing it if there's a reward - a toy he gets to open. Otherwise, he'll just go in his pants. My girls have had constipation issues though and I know how tough that can be. The best advice I have for that is to try to get a lot of fruit in her - a friend suggested fruit snacks on occasion because they have some oil in them that also can help keep things moving. We've been trying to nonchalant approach here - not that it's working too well!

The Gilbert Crew said...

Have you thought of maybe getting a plain seat cover for the big potty and tempt her that way, so her pretty potty won't get yucky. I agree with Joanna, just try to keep stuff in her diet that will give her no choice but to go boom-boom(love that expression by the way). It will get better! Maybe new shoes might do the trick :)

Ann said...

Jonathan wouldn't go until we put him on the "big people potty" then he could flush it away with out seeing it and he was fine. I don't know how she feels about the big potty but maybe that will work for you.

ps found you through Jamie

Samantha said...

I have absolutley no advice for you since I haveb't even attempted potty training with Tristan. I am impressed you already have her potty trained!!!

Tracy said...

Keep her doped up with fiber. At least it won't be the constipation factor. Some fruit snacks have castor oil in them (I know gross right) That also helps.

SchultzMomma said...

This exact thing happened with Carter. He would hold it so long, it was huge & would hurt when it finally came out- sometimes even causing a little blood. We ended up having to hide mineral oil in his food/juice to keep him from being stopped-up. That made him have to go more regularly, and once it stopped hurting, he wasn't fearful of going anymore. He used the toilet instead of the little potty for poop. i was so glad to not have to clean that thing out anymore! Good luck!

Katie said...

WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!! Becca would hold it for 5 days. The pediatrrician told me to just let her go in her diaper for now (she too asks for one) and to give her lots of pears and pear juice (you can find it in the baby food aisle, made by Gerber). But, hers wasn't a constipation problem, but rather a control thing. I dont' know how I"m ever going to get her to go on the potty. UGH!!!!! Good luck. Let me know if you figure something out!

d-people said...

No news on the job yet, should hear Mon. I will def let you know! Thanks for being so positive =)